Skip to content

Before you apply for your visa

On this page, we will provide you with the answers to the most frequently asked questions before filing your visa application.

Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind

How Do I Know if I Need a Visa?


Depending on your length of stay and purpose of travel, you should visit the New to Denmark website to check if you are exempted from or you require a visa.

Will I get my visa at the end of the process?


The issuance or refusal of a visa can only be decided after the scrutiny of documents by the Embassy of Denmark. 

I am a family member of a EU/EEA/Swiss citizen. What rules apply for me?


Family members of an EU/EEA citizen or Swiss citizen who is exercising his/her right to free movement in Denmark have the right to have their visa application processed in accordance with EU regulations. Read more about the EU regulations here.

How long does it take to get a visa?


According to the EU Visa Code, the maximum case processing time cannot exceed 15 calendar days, or in exceptional cases 45 days.

The Embassy aims to issue visas as soon as possible provided that we have full and satisfactory information about the applicant. Please note: If the Embassy needs more information from you or the host, we will contact you before the 15 days run out.

When should I hand in my visa application?


Planning ahead and handing in the application as soon as possible is always a good idea since unforeseen problems, such as incomplete documentation, may arise and prolong the case processing time. However, a visa application cannot be accepted if handed in more than 6 months (180 days) before the intended departure.

How can I submit my visa application?


Applicants should come to the Visa Application Centre in person. Applications cannot be sent by mail, fax or email either. Applications can be submitted up to six months (180 days) before the planned trip.

All Indian and Bhutanese nationals who wish to apply for any type of visa to travel to Denmark, Iceland, Greenland, and Faroe Islands can submit their application at VFS. Bhutanese nationals wishing to go to Sweden should apply at the Danish counter at VFS Thimpu.

Which Documents Do I Need to Submit with my Application?


The documents you require depends on the purpose of your visit. You can find document checklists here:

Do I need to book an appointment to submit my application at VFS?


You can submit the application ONLY with an appointment. 
Appointments are scheduled through the
VFS website or by calling their helpline on +9122-67866009 (India and Bhutan) or 18000910119 (Nepal).

Is it mandatory for me to appear for an interview at the Embassy if I am applying for a short term visa?


It is not mandatory to appear for an interview at the Danish embassy when you apply for a short term visa. However, the Embassy may ask an applicant to appear for an interview as well as request an applicant to submit additional documentation.

Is it mandatory for me to appear for an interview if I am applying for a short term visa?


It is not mandatory to appear for an interview for a short term visa but the Embassy may ask an applicant to appear for an interview.

Can the Denmark Visa Application Centre prepare my application for me?


The Denmark Visa Application Centre does not prepare visa applications, but accepts applications in accordance with the Embassy’s instructions.

Do I need to apply for a visa in person?


Yes, it is mandatory for all applicants to appear in person when submitting a Schengen visa application for Denmark as well as applications for Greenland and the Faroe Islands if you have not had your fingerprints taken within the last 59 months. Applicants going to Sweden or to France from Bhutan must also appear in person under same rule.

How long can I remain in the Schengen area if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?


The visa sticker indicates a period of validity which typically is longer than the number of days you are allowed to stay in Denmark or in other Schengen countries, for example 90 days. You must at any given time only have a maximum of 90 days stay in the Schengen region in any 180-day period.

Both the entire entry day and the entire exit day are counted in when calculating the number of days you may stay in the Schengen region – regardless of the time of day you enter or exit the country, since the days are counted from midnight to midnight. Both the day of entry and the day of exit must fall within the period of validity. It is always your own responsibility to be aware how long you are allowed to stay in Denmark. 

You can read more about how long you are allowed to stay here

How many Times Can I Use my Schengen Visa?


On the visa sticker the “number of entries” is indicated: “1”, “2” or "MULT". The holder of a multiple entry visa ("MULT") may enter the Schengen area unlimited number of times during the validity of the visa while respecting the rules on duration of stay.

Can I Travel to Other Schengen Countries with a Single Entry Visa?


A single-entry visa allows its holder to enter the Schengen Area only once as per the validity of the visa, which means that the holder can travel freely within the Schengen area on the single-entry visa but once you are out of the Schengen area the visa expires.

Do I need to submit the original invitation letter?


Yes. All letters must be signed and stamped.

Please note that it is also possible to make an online invitation (for applications to Denmark). However, you need to send us a physical copy of the invitation code (print screen) which you will receive after generating the invitation online.

You can find information about online invitations here  

Do I need a signature on the dispatch letter and invitation letter?


Yes. All letters from companies must be signed.

Can I apply for a visa with a validity longer than six months?


If you wish to apply for a long validity visa, you should tick Multiple Entries in field number 24 of the Schengen visa application form and write below how long a validity you would like, e.g. “I would like a 1 year visa”.

Whether a long validity visa can be issued depends on an assessment of the application.

Do I need to pay a fee to arrange an appointment?


No. .

Appointments at VFS are mandatory and can be booked by calling their hotline on +9122-67866009 (India and Bhutan) or 18000910119 (Nepal) or online on

Can I travel with a visa issued in my old/expired passport?


Yes, you can travel with visa issued in expired/cancelled passport.

However, an applicant can also choose to have it transferred to a new passport. If the old passport was cancelled because it had run out of pages, i.e. the passport is full, this is free of charge. Then a new visa with a validity corresponding to the remaining period of validity of the first visa is pasted in the new passport.

However, if the transfer is not due to insufficient pages then the applicant must pay the visa fee.

If the applicant wishes a longer validity visa than the validity of the visa in the old passport, then a completely new application must be submitted and the visa fee paid. The validity of the new visa depends on an assessment of the application.

Do I need travel insurance?


Yes. Proof of a Schengen health insurance must be submitted along with your visa application. The insurance must cover repatriation and emergency medical treatment.

However, if this is the case, the minimum sum insured should be EUR 30,000 or USD 50,000. Importantly, the insurance must cover the effective period that you stay in Denmark/Schengen, including the arrival day and the departure day.

Only in cases where the applicant is applying under EU rules or is covered by a Note Verbal issued by his/her government, can the requirement for a travel insurance be waived.

Who are exempt from paying the visa fee?


According to the rules for fees charged by the Danish mission abroad, certain groups are exempt from paying the visa fee upon application.
For more information please see
here (in Danish only)

The most usual types of exemptions are:

  • Applicants who apply under EU regulations. Read more about who are covered by the EU rules here.
  • School pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake stays for the purpose of study or educational training
  • Representatives of non-profit organisations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organised by non-profit organisations.

If you are in doubt about whether your application should be fee exempt, please, contact the embassy. The embassy will then assess, whether you are covered by the exemptions.

Am I allowed to work in the Schengen area if I hold a short-term Schengen visa?

set title

No. A visa generally does not allow you to take up employment or establish a business, trade or profession in the Schengen region. However, during visits of less than 90 days you may carry out certain work-related activities in Denmark without holding a work permit.

Certain professions are allowed to work for up to 90 days out of 180 days without a work permit.

Read more about these special groups here.

You can read more about whether you need a work permit

Can the Denmark Visa Application Centre courier my passport back?


Yes, the Denmark Visa Application Centre can courier your application to you as long as the address provided by you is serviceable by VFS’ courier partners, Blue Dart Couriers.

You will be asked if you would like your application couriered back to you at the time of applying. You should make your preference known at this time. VFS is unable to change the mode of return of your passport at a later time.

Is the courier service charged?


The courier facility is an optional service with an additional fee per visa application. This fee has to be paid at the time your application is being submitted and cannot be opted for later. You can find the list of fees here.

Will my fees be refunded if my visa is refused?


All fees are non-refundable and will not be returned if your visa application is refused by the Embassy.

What is a legalization?


A legalization is a confirmation that the signature on a document is genuine. India is a signatory to the Apostille-Convention.

To get a document apostilled, please, follow the process set out by the Indian Ministry of External Affairs here

Fold alle afsnit ud
Fold alle afsnit ind